So I said in the last post I would tell about the street names. Well, here I am, ready to spill the beans on this disastrous non-existent non-organized process.
It seems the makers of the street system in Costa Rica didn't deem the use of street signs and names necessary. Geniuses. There are absolutely no street signs in Costa Rica, except in my neighborhood, but nobody bothers to even remember the names. It useless, because nobody understands them anyway. The directions to most places are just "Oh, drive 400 meters and take a left by the little restaurant on the corner."
I mean, duh. Who wouldn't know to drive 400 meters and take a left. So simple. Not. So once upon a time, we were given directions somewhere, and one of the lines was "Stop at the tree in the hole and take a right." Of course, I thought it was a typo and it meant the "hole in the tree". But sure enough, when we got there after those 300 meters, there was a tree growing out of a man-hole. So presto! we took a right.
Even though there are no street names, everyone knows how to get around just the same because they're used to it. What can be so simple to them is just baffling to us. And vice-versa. (Woot-woot! Fancy vocab. word!! Be proud of me.)
Wish me luck on starting my second week of high school!
No comments:
Post a Comment